A while back, I started to see photos of a purple and pink 787 and wondered what the heck it was all about. Then I saw that people had the chance to get up close and personal with the plane at the Boeing Future of Flight, and I realized that I needed to figure out the full story. It turns out that the special livery is inspired by the Employees Community Fund (ECF) of Boeing. And what is ECF, you might ask? Good question. According to Boeing:
“Since 1948, ECF has funded approximately $1 billion to local communities across the United States. The ECF has 20 chapters across Boeing, giving employees an opportunity to make a difference where they live and work. Each chapter is managed by local employees who make grants based on the needs of their communities. The special livery celebrates the commitment and generosity of our employees in their local communities.”
I would say that is a pretty worthy cause to support this unique livery. This is also special, since it is not actually all paint, but is comprised of the largest decal ever on a composite aircraft.Â Boeing has certified the decal technology, so now airline customers can start using them. I am hoping it means more special liveries and please, oh please, I hope it means less European white designs.
Sure, seeing photos of the plane is nice, but if you live in the Seattle area, you can get up close and personal with the 787 between now and Sunday (scroll below for more details). You can’t go inside the plane, but there are not many times a person can walk under a 787 and touch one.
787 SPECIALTY TOUR DETAILSÂ
- 30 minute exterior guided walk-around tour where you get up close to this 787-9.
- Located at the Boeing Future of Flight in Everett, WA
- Onsite Ticket Sales Only at the Boeing Future of Flight Ticket Counter
- Credit or Debit Cards Only
- Children must be 4′ or taller to take this tour
- Prices: Adults $7, Youth (15 and under are FREE and must be accompanied by an adult)
- Friday 9.20.19
- Saturday 9.21.19
- Sunday 9.22.19
- AM: 10:15,Â 10:45,Â 11:15,Â 11:45
- PM:Â 1:15,Â 1:45,Â 2:15,Â 2:45,Â 3:15,Â 3:45,Â 4:15 pm